Poetry?

Here's a villanelle I wrote about the church of San Clemente, which is a 12th century church that was built on top of a 4th century church, which in turn was built on a 1st century pagan sort of a thing. Some interesting factoids:
1) The 4th century layer has on a fresco the earliest known example of written modern Italian.
2) "Prego" is this all purpose Italian word that you would use to say such things in English as "You're welcome", "How my I help you?", "After you", "Go ahead". Often times when you enter a retail establishment, you're greeted with a "Prego!" Literally translated, "Prego" means "I pray".


Layer Cake

Why does God have to have so much stuff?
Build upon a building, never stop.
At what point would you say you’ve had enough?

Would you say this layer cake is up to snuff,
or has this spolia spoiled this whole crop?
Why does God have to have so much stuff?

The pacing of this tour’s kind of rough.
There’s only so much I can take before I drop.
At what point would you say you’ve had enough?

The gold’s been polished. The marble’s all been buffed.
In the Vatican Ocean I drop a fee. Kerplop.
Why does God have to have so much stuff?

The art erupts like bluffs beyond a bluff.
This layer like the gilded frosting on the top.
At what point would you say you’ve had enough?

I go down the stairs and look around and come back up.
I have to exit (“Prego!”) through the shop.
Why does God have to have so much stuff?
At what point would you say you’ve had enough?
















_________________________________________

google analytics

the guy who wrote this:

My photo
writes words, draws pictures, and shoots things (with his camera)